Monday, April 21, 2008

Please Pray

The following is an email from Sarah Lowrey's brother, Steve. He is in the midst of a struggle against a very aggressive cancer. The prayer at the the end of the email was written by Robert Lowery. Please bring him before our benevolent God with us.

Today, I was supposed to go on a field trip with Jada. A problem arose. For the past couple weeks, I have been complaining on a pain in my stomach and in my back. My stomach has become enormously distended, it was jetting out looking like I was pregnant. It led to shortness of breath, pain in my stomach any and everytime I ate and was incredibly uncomfortable to sleep. So, I had to miss the field trip today (my dad graciously took my place) and went in to see the Dr. He ordered X-Rays. Nothing showed up. Then he ordered a CT Scan. Great, so I went down and drank that crazy stuff, hooked up to an IV and did the scan. I was scared out of my mind. We then went upstairs back to my Dr's office to wait for the scan results. While waiting in his office, Candy and I really assumed that this was a meaningless trip. That he would look at the scans and say I was just suffering from side-effects of the chemo I was on. How I wish that to be the case.

Dr. Drasga came in and immediately told us this was not good. That the cancer has continued to grow, even though on a new completely different chemo from before. That the cancer has actually produced a liquid in the lining of my stomach surrounding my liver. Tomorrow, I am supposed to go into radiology, they are gonna stick a needle in my gut and drain the liquid (which will come right back in about 1-2 weeks and will need to get this done periodically). I was stunned. I couldn't believe it. I have been doing the organic food diet, taking the vitamins (and yeah, maybe things would have been worse if I wasn't doing that) and bathing this thing in prayer. Stunned, shocked, hurt, scared...all of the above.

He told me I have blown through all 5 major chemos that work on Colo-Rectal Cancer with no results. So what next? That's the question. He offered up a couple options.

1. Retry some of the older chemos that have thus far had no effect on me. He suggested trying different doses, different forms of chemo (like a pill form) and such. He informed us there is a less that %10 percent chance of any effectiveness.
2. Clinical trials. Whether through University of Chicago or some other place. We're looking into insurance stuff and trying to factor things in here with this. But clinical trials have been tested with some success on animals and they are essentially looking for human guinea pigs with no options left. He informed us there is a less than %10 percent chance of any effectiveness.
3. Halt all treatments, stop with science and just let nature take it's course with Hospice. Obviously, this is not an option we are even considering.
So there you have it. I continue to pray, gravel and plead before our God for a miracle. As I have asked before, so I do so again. Pray for my fighting spirit, my strength and most of all hope. Since being diagnosed in July, this cancer has continued to run me through with no signs of slowing, stopping o even regressing.

I do know this, my wrestlers, my friends, my church, my parents, my child and my wife have all aided me in the fight. I will continue to push forward. All I've ever wanted to to grow old with my wife and to raise my daughter into the Godly Servant I know she will be. Sometimes (especially days like this) that dream fades more and more. I appreciate the prayers and the support through this dark and sorrowful time in our family.

I also know, that just as Satan is whispering in my ear, he may be in yours as well. Gently lying saying that "God has abandoned Steve." My God is still right here with me. I made the statement the other day to a fellow minister, "I cannot fathom the mind of God. I don't know what His plans are, I don't know why I have this disease. I cannot grasp Him mind in this. I can, however, fathom and understand His heart. Just as much as I am broken about this, as my wife, my parents are broken about this, my God hearts breaks for this as well." My God is still my Father, my God is still my refuge and my God is still the one true Rock that I will ever cling to.

Lord, we praise you for your tender mercies and your steadfast love . . .
Lord, we praise you for the skill of doctors and others who have provided care . . .
Lord, we praise you for brothers and sisters in Christ who have offered prayers, words of encouragement, and have done acts of mercy . . .
Lord, we praise you for the hope that we have because of Christ . . .
But . . .Lord, we beg you to bring healing to Steve so that he may continue to honor and serve you by being a loving husband, father, son, and leader in your Church . . .
Lord, we beg you to lighten burdens and give strength . . .
Lord, we beg you for wisdom to trust you when we cannot understand why this disease has brought so much pain and danger . . .
Lord, we beg you to to give strength so that your will is honored . . .
Lord, we beg you to help Steve, Candy, and the rest of the family bear the burdens patiently . . .
Lord, we beg you to bless those who are weighed down with the mystery of suffering . . .
Lord, we beg you to reveal yourself even more powerfully as the God of love who bears all our sufferings . . .
Lord, we beg you to draw near, as we call upon your name to deliver your servant Steve from this sickness . . .
We beg you to give him life anew, to stretch out your hand and set him on his feet again, to put strength into him, to give him back to your church and family fully restored . . .
Lord, we beg you to use this time of deep pain to bring glory and honor to you . . .
From the depths of our despair we call to you, Lord.
Hear our cry, O Lord; listen to our call for help! We wait eagerly for the Lord's help and in his word we trust.
Amen.

No comments: