Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Legal Bonanza

Now that we have temporarily settled in I am working on our incorporation and board of directors. I always knew I wasn't cut out to be a lawyer, but never have I had it confirmed so clearly as I have today. I have to read most sentences three times before I get an idea of what is being said and I'm becoming increasingly aware that I need help so I don't make any big mistakes.

It has been odd for me to reflect on the organic nature of what we are trying to do in contrast to the highly structured requirements of the law. It seems like a difficult task to fit a fluid organization into such a rigid container. I'm still not sure how I will fashion the legal documents in a way that doesn't stifle the freedom of all those who will be involved. There's a part of me that feels like it would be better to skip becoming a legal organization all together, but you give up too much in terms of legal benefits and protection if you take that step.

All this to say that I am reluctantly receiving an education this morning. It is one that will continue for days and even years to come.

No comments: