Thursday, March 15, 2007

Holy Conversations


I had one of those holy conversations this week with a friend. It was one of the first times we've sat down and discussed Church, and it was uplifting to hear his heart, thoughts, and passions. I want to share some of his insights because I think he's one of many people that struggles with some of these things:

He’s felt a pull to become a pastor, but recently decided to hold off seminary because he has seen pastoral work lately as alot of administration and running the business side of a church. He's uniquely gifted at teaching, mentoring, and spiritual development.

He struggles with the professionalism that is pushed upon churches that grow from small to large. No longer is it about the heart of the person, but it’s about who can preach and teach best, who can sing and play best, and, sometimes even who looks best.

He's seen that spiritual growth isn’t happening at the service, and he believes people aren’t experiencing spiritual growth because they’re not in spiritual relationships with others.

Churches he has visited explain everything in three points or four tips, as if you can explain Jesus and put Him in a box. He's wondering if/how churches should embrace the mysteriousness of Christ?

This isn't about negativity toward the Church, nor do I think I have the answers. These are simply statements that I've thought about, and my friend has thought about, and I know others think about.

1 comment:

Molly said...

I like this article, especially b/c I worked in church administration for two years. Certainly, the amount of admin tasks is directly proportionate to the size of the church!

But I think there's a parallel to the secular world. Part of my job requires me to "judge", for lack of a better word, photography for profiles. I most certainly am NOT good at that, nor do I enjoy doing it. But it's a big part of my job. But so is writing--and that's what I'm good at, gifted at, and part of why God has me there, I know.

If anyone is looking for a job, it is definitely important to weight the pros and cons...but also to realize that there is no "perfect" job.