Friday, February 9, 2007

Recieving Faith

Since Michelle (my wife) and I decided to leave Denver, my job, our friends, and all that is familiar to pursue the vision God has given us for planting a church we have prayed that he would give us great faith. This is something we both struggle with, but in different way.

I struggle having faith that we will actually be able to do what God has called us to do. I've always had this lingering heresy in my head that God gives you the opposite of what you want, so even in something he's called us to that creeps in. Practically this means I lack the faith to believe that our house will sell--the biggest thing that could keep us from pursuing our calling.

Michelle tends to struggle with faith in areas of security and stability. So the things that are hard for her are things like: Will God provide friends in Illinois like he has here? Where will the money come from to support our family? After all, we have no jobs there and can't raise any support until our house sells.

The wonderful way that God has answered our prayers for faith is that he has given Michelle faith in the areas I lack it and vice versa. I think it would be easier for me if God would give me faith in all things, and I still try to have that and ask him for it, but I am amazed at how God is answering this prayer in a way that draws my wife and I together. In a time of great stress, transition, and unknown, God is using Michelle and I to give each other hope and faith in God.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brother Trevor, your story grabs me as it is so similar to what my wife and I have faced. We were headed back to California a couple of years after finishing up at Den Sem but God told us to stay here in Denver. That certainly wasn't the trajectory that we were expecting but we set out in faith. A group approached me to help them start a missional church here in the city where we're waiting on Him to show us what's next. My wife and I faced all the security issues, the struggle with pride and progress, everything. One of the things that keeps me going is the growth of my brothers and sisters on the planting team and the affects we have had on those we've reached out to. It can be discouraging and stressful but remember what Blackaby teaches us in Experiencing God - when you receive and accept a call from God you are obligated to see it through - no matter how challenging the task. God bless you and good luck wherever you're being sent. I hope it's warmer and drier than here!

Trevor said...

Thanks Warren. I really appreciate the encouragement. I wish we were going somewhere warmer too, but it's Chicago so the weather certainly won't be better!

Kristen said...

Those were some of my biggest fears when we left Denver for our church plant - the fears Michelle has expressed. And those are the things God has very clearly provided for us. We have found some amazing friends on our church plant team, and though we're not thriving financially, God is providing what we need to get by. There are new things testing our faith, things I had no idea would be this hard, but God has truly been faithful to us as we follow His call. I hope this will be an encouragement to you both.

Trevor said...

Thanks for sharing Kristen. It's God past faithfulness to us and stories like you shared that remind us God is faithful and that he can be trusted!