Sunday, January 28, 2007

What the Coffeeshop Teaches Us


As much as I like my once-a-week Starbucks gift to myself, I treasure those more sporadic stops at my local indy coffeeshop. It's easier to go there and stay there for hours. I often choose that coffeeshop when I have a friend I want to spend some quality time with. I meet more people there than I ever would at Starbucks.

I love this article that Leadership journal published about what the church can learn about the coffeeshop (also love it because this coffeeshop is MY coffeeshop and I know the author and his wife):

Coffeeshop Connections
What one pastor is learning, as a part-time barista, about relationship and discipleship.
by David Swanson

Here's my favorite excerpt:

If we believe the church community is the sum of its people, and if we believe that relationships are not something that can be programmed, then we do well to consider how to create margins in church life for spontaneous relational moments, similar to those that attract people to the coffeeshop.

1 comment:

Trevor said...

Really a great article. I don't know if it's the mood I'm in today or what, but reading about "the loft" made me get a little teary! I appreciate that this pastor is open to new ways of engaging people.