Monday, July 30, 2007

We're Here!


This weekend was a moving extravaganza! I rode to Aurora with my father-in-law on Friday morning to meet our landlord at 11:00. As we started to unload the trailer a downpour began, which finished about the time we threw the last box in the garage. After that we spent the afternoon helping Megan, Michelle's sister, move into her new place which is only about five minutes from us! My favorite part of that move was that we had to take the railing off her balcony and hoist her box spring up while standing on the U-Haul trailer because it wouldn't fit up the stairs. Michelle, our kids, and my parents arrived safely in Aurora around 3:00.

We spent the bulk of the day Saturday moving all our stuff out of Cory's garage and spare bedroom. It was pretty hot, so I soaked through about four shirts, but we got it done. Many thanks to Cory, Megan, Michael, Steve, Twyla, and Jacki for all their help.

Here's the top five things I learned from the weekend:
1. I'm not meant to be a mover.
2. Stairs are evil.
3. People make jokes about the humidity in the Midwest, those are not funny.
4. If you ever want to move it is best to just have folding chairs as furniture.
5. You always have more stuff than you think!

2 comments:

esteenlage said...

Yaaayyy! Welcome to Chicagoland!

Cory said...

Here are my top five lessons learned:

1) People come up with very creative excuses for not helping someone move. That's going to be me next time.

2) Knowing where the closest pizza place is and its phone number is a necessity.

3) When everything has been moved to the new house, you've only just begun.

4) Stretch well before picking up boxes.

5) If you're taking trips back and forth between houses while moving, remember your house key.